Sport Management Discussion
Book: Applied sport management skills / Robert N. Lussier, PhD, Springfield College, David C. Kimball, PhD, Elms College. Third edition.
1. Explain why strategic planning and operational planning are important.
2. How do plans and strategies differ?
3. Should all sport organizations have corporate-, business-, and functional-level strategies? Why or why not?
4. Should a mission statement for an athletic department be customer focused? Why or why not?
5. Why would a situation analysis be part of the strategic process of redesigning a sport organization?
6. Why is competitive advantage important to sport organizations?
7. Are both goals and objectives necessary for managing a health club? Why or why not?
8. Develop a SWOT for the North American Society for Sport Management (NASSM).
9. As a manager or a coach, would you use MBO? Why or why not?
10. Which growth strategy would you say is the most successful? Defend your answer.
11. What is the difference between a merger and an acquisition?
12. Develop a BCG matrix for Adidas.
13. Why would a sport organization use a focus strategy rather than try to appeal to all customers?
14. Give examples of “other” functional departments.
15. Is it ethical to copy other teams’ or companies’ ideas through benchmarking?
Chapter 4 – Case Questions
1. What would you write for Michael’s personal mission statement?
2. How does the personal mission statement differ from the organizational mission statement where you work or go to college?
3. Explain whether you think college students understand the role of networking in being hired for a mid-level corporate job.
1. What is the difference between unity of command and unity of direction?
2. What is the relationship between the chain of command and the span of management (span of control)?
3. What do the terms differentiation and integration mean?
4. What is the difference between responsibility and authority?
5. Can a coach delegate accountability to a player?
6. How does the scope of authority change in an organization, and what is the flow of responsibility, authority, and accountability?
7. What is the difference between a general staff person and a specialist staff person?
8. What does an organization chart show? What doesn’t it show?
9. What is the difference between product and customer departmentalization?
10. What is job design, and why is it necessary?
11. What is the difference between an integrated and a self-managed work team?
12. What is the importance of employee growth-need strength to the job characteristics model?
13. Why is it important to update priorities on a to-do list?
14. What is the first and most important question you ask to determine what and what not to delegate?
15. Explain why each of the four steps of delegating is necessary.
16. Why has there been a trend toward more team, network, virtual, and learning organizations? Is this a fad, or will it last?
17. Matrix structures violate the unity of command principle. Should companies not use the matrix structure?
18. Is centralized or decentralized authority better?
Chapter 5 Discussion
Why has there been a trend toward more team, network, virtual, and learning organizations? Is this a fad, or will it last?
1. How do the management functions relate to change?
2. How does the systems effect relate to the four variables of change?
3. List the four stages in the change process.
4. Which of the five reasons for resisting change do you believe is most common?
5. Which of the six ways to overcome resistance to change do you believe is the most important?
6. Select two sport organizations and discuss the differences between their cultures.
7. Discuss how the two types of innovations could be used by a manufacturer of golf balls.
8. Discuss how you would use team building to improve the effectiveness of a team you are playing on or have played for.
9. Do you agree with the core values of TQM? If not, how would you change them?
10. Do you believe that online surveys are an effective method for analyzing the effectiveness of Title IX in the United States?
11. Do you consider yourself to be a creative, innovative person? Why or why not?
12. How has diversity affected you personally?
13. Should men break the glass ceiling and promote more women to top positions? Why or why not?
14. Should the government get involved in breaking the glass ceiling? Why or why not? If yes, what should the government do? State pros and cons of government involvement.
15. Do you believe that it is acceptable for people who work together to date each other?
16. Do you have a mentor? Will you get one? Why or why not?
17. As a manager, which, if any, OD interventions will you use?
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more