Order Of Professional Development Project
The purpose of this project is to provide you with a practical and meaningful opportunity to spark (or advance) your career. To accomplish this purpose, you will: (1) research a potential career or internship within an industry (or specific company); (2) engage in a meaningful networking activity; and (3) write up some reflections about the whole process. More information for each part is found below, as well as in various documents on D2L.
Part 1 – Research
· Selecting a career, industry, and/or company
· The purpose of this project is to provide you with a practical and meaningful professional development opportunity, therefore…
· This is not necessarily about a dream job, position, profession, etc.
· Although it can be
· You will select a career, an industry, and/or a specific company with which you might reasonably:
· Land an internship in an upcoming semester
· Pursue a job to begin right after you graduate
· Note that you are not looking for job openings, but rather are seeking a broader picture of the career, industry, and/or company
· Research the career, industry, and/or company
· MTSU Career Center ( https://www.mtsu.edu/career/index.php)
· Has information career paths of specific majors
· You can also connect with a career adviser
· Lightening Career Link ( https://www.mtsu.edu/career/LCL.php)
· MTSU’s recruiting software platform for professional positions requiring a college degree
· Also has info on internships
· MTSU Access to CareerShift ( http://www.careershift.com/?sc=mtsu)
· Research companies, contacts, and job titles
· Also has a job board
· O*Net Online ( www.onetonline.org)
· A repository of information for over 900 jobs
· You will need to visit this site to do a portion of this project detailed below
· Occupational Outlook Handbook ( www.bls.gov/ooh)
· Hundreds of occupations and descriptions of pay, job growth, responsibilities, and more
· Vault ( www.vault.com)
· Find information on companies, jobs, rankings, graduate schools, and internships
· Writing up Part 1
· Discuss the following in your written assignment:
· Job challenges and salary trends
· The knowledge, skills, and abilities needed
· Education and experience required or desired for this position
· Typical career path and work environment
· How this new information affects your career planning
· Discuss how you used the above resources to gather this information
Part 2 – Networking
This portion will require you to engage in a networking activity. Specifically, you will conduct an Informational Interview with a working professional from the industry or company for which you would like to work or intern.
· Locate the document on D2L called ‘Informational Interview’
· Review the document and make plans according to its content
· The main steps for this process that will be expounded on in the document are:
1. Identify someone to interview
2. Prepare for the interview
3. Initiate contact
4. Conduct the informational interview
· Either face-to-face or via teleconferencing (e.g., Zoom)
· Writing up Part 2
· Discuss who you interviewed and how you went about contacting them
· State their job title, their main responsibilities, their educational background and work experience, etc.
· Discuss what it was like for you to set up this interview
· Were you nervous? Did it go better than expected? Was the person receptive to meeting with a student?
· Discuss the actual interview
· What are some things you learned?
· Did anything surprise you?
· How did what you learned from the interview compare with what you learned from Part 1?
· Include the list of questions you asked as Appendix A in your final draft
· Discuss the steps you took to follow-up
· Did you send an email or hand-written note to this contact?
· Were you able to connect on LinkedIn?
· Do you have any future plans to interact with this person?
· Include your follow-up note as Appendix B in your final draft
· Take a picture of the hand-written note you sent and include the picture in Appendix B
· Take a screen shot of the follow-up email you sent and include it in Appendix B
Part 3 – Reflections
In this section, you will discuss the things you learned from this project.
· Reflections on the process
· What are the main takeaways you have from going about conducting this project?
· What it easier or more difficult than you thought? Was it more or less rewarding than you thought it’d be?
· What did you learn about the importance of networking?
· What did you learn about the importance of professionalism?
· Did anything surprise you?
· Reflections on leadership
· Through your research (e.g., data gathered from O*Net Online) and interview, you should have a decent understanding about what it means to be a leader in this industry, career, and/or company
· What skills do you already possess that would ma
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more