English 102 / Essay 2: The Short Story Researched Essay /
Okay, people, please respond to one of the following questions using essay form that incorporates MLA style. Your essay should have an essay map thesis and be between three to five pages (750 – 1,250 words) plus a Works Cited page (the Works Cited page is not counted towards the word count). The Works Cited page must reflect the short stories as taken from the text The Short Story and Its Writer (see syllabus for the text). You must use textual support for your assertions – that means you must quote directly from the text just like we have been doing during our class discussions.
Please keep in mind this is a researched essay, not a research paper, and as such, you should only incorporate one secondary source to support one of your arguments. Make sure your secondary source agrees or disagrees with one of your points in your essay map thesis. Remember, in English, there is no such thing as a “right” or “wrong” answer, only answers you can or cannot support by referring to the text. Please note the criteria for this assignment has been bolded. The essay is due on Friday, May 21st.
1. Compare and contrast the idea of community in Gabriel Garcia Marquez’ “The Very Old Man with Enormous Wings,” with the idea of the community in Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery.”
2. Is Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery” a horror story? Why or why not?
3. In Leslie Marmon Silko’s short story entitled “Yellow Woman,” the Yellow Woman in the traditional captivity narratives can be interpreted in several ways: As a girl who runs off with a man outside the tribe; as a raped and kidnapped married woman; as a spirit; or as a fertility archetype. Which way do you interpret the Yellow Woman in this narrative and why?
4. Compare and contrast the mothers in “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid and “Two Kinds” by Amy Tan. What kinds of lessons are they trying to teach?
6. What is the meaning of beauty in Sandra Cisneros’ “Barbie-Q”?
7. What is the lesson in “The Lesson” by Toni Cade Bambara?
Types of Sources for Research
There are basically three types of sources you can use for research.
· Primary sources make use of direct experiences
· Historical Documents (these may include letters)
Secondary (this is what I want you to use for your research)
· Secondary sources make use of someone’s scholarly work who has researched the field you are researching and is considered an “expert” in the field
· Books on a subject
· Scholarly or academic articles
· Collections of photographs (do not use for this assignment)
· Collections of documents (do not use for this assignment)
· Recorded or transcribed interviews
· Newspaper and magazine reporting
Tertiary sources are encyclopedia articles, opinion pieces in newspapers or on the Internet. Often the writer is someone with an interest in the subject, but lacks experience or neutrality to give an objective point of view. These are sources that may be good to initiate your research, but they usually are not considered valid in a formal research paper or essay. Remember, you can change most of the articles on Wikipedia on your own, throwing off thousands of researchers.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more