Which Brain Structures Would You Give Up?
Suppose you were the subject of a diabolical experiment looking at the functions of the various brain areas. A mad scientist wants to do “removal studies” in order to isolate these functions. The mad scientist does have a heart, though- he lets his subjects decide which brain structures they’d like to give up.
This assignment requires an understanding of the various parts of the brain and their role in our daily functioning.
This assignment fulfills/Supports:
· Module Outcome: 1
· Course Outcome: 1,3
· General Education Competencies: 1,2,3,5
For this Discussion Board, complete the following steps:
Review the various parts of the brain and their functions by visiting the 3D Brain website at http://www.g2conline.org/2022 (opens in a new window). For students who prefer an app, search for “3D Brain” wherever you buy apps. The app is free but you do have the option to purchase an upgrade for a small fee.
You are only responsible for understanding the parts of the brain that are covered in your textbook.
In your initial post thoroughly discuss the following:
1. If you were the subject in this heinous (and thankfully fictional) experiment, which three brain structures would you give up? NOTE: You must choose specific parts of the brain, not brain regions. Students are not permitted to choose any of the four lobes or the cerebral cortex for removal.
2. Explain the function of those three structures. What is the role of each in your daily functioning? Be specific. DO NOT simply restate textbook information.
3. Explain why you chose those structures and describe what your life would be like without them. Again, be specific and DO NOT simply restate textbook information. For example, if I chose my hippocampus for removal I would experience significant memory impairment. As a result, it is unlikely that I would be able to work as an instructor (an inability to form new memories means I can’t remember what I just said, much less deliver an entire lecture). I would also experience confusion about where I am and how I got there (again, removal or severe damage of the hippocampus results in an inability to form new memories meaning I can’t remember what has happened from one moment to the next). However, it is possible that I would still retain some long-term memories formed years before the “removal”, since those memories may have been moved to another part of the brain.
Citing Sources: You must use APA style to reference your source(s) at the end of your submission. For this Discussion Board, you must include reference information for your textbook and the 3D brain website or app. Information on how to format reference information (including a reference generator) in APA style can be found on the Purdue Online Writing Lab website at https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/general_format.html (opens in a new window).
Acceptable Length: 300-500 word initial post; 2-3 sentence responses to at least two classmates.
· Use 12-point Times New Roman or Arial font
· Use double line spacing in the document
· 1-inch margins all around
Grading criteria: For full points you must fully comply with each component of the Discussion Board Grading Rubric.
Specifications: Post your initial response to the questions early in the assignment period so that others have time to respond to you. *NOTE*: You must submit your initial post before you will be able to view the posts of other students. This prevents students from simply re-wording the posts of classmates.
To Submit: When you are ready to make your initial post, click on the “Module 1 Discussion Board” link above. You will not see any other posts. Click on “Create Thread” to type and post your initial post. Once your initial post is submitted, you will be able to read and reply to your classmates’ posts.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more